Thursday, November 17, 2005

Rear View

I have always been an observer; sitting quietly and looking through doorways that have been left open. One can learn a lot by standing back and letting the world teach through quiet observation. Like watching my parents alone on the beach; the morning sun reflecting off the water, absorbed in one another while shell-seeking. Or seeing the children as they witness the ocean for the first time, little hands held tightly together, pants rolled up in anticipation of incoming waves. There are barefooted finds amongst misty spray, and they are completely oblivious to my presence as they fill pockets with new treasures. I like to watch and listen; active fingers and scrunched toes, busy in animated conversation.

I see my son's father, hands clasped in his lap as they absorb firelight and roasted marshmallows; a little boy enamored with Dad and the magic of nature. I watch in silence as my brother shares a beautiful waterfall with my mother, ever protecting her as they stand on a rocky ledge

I hold my breath as my daughter and her friends step gingerly across the flow of water, knowing I have to let her go; to allow her wings to experience life, while trusting in her wisdom and her goodness.

I follow behind my mom and sister after a blissful day in the pumpkin patch and though am not privy to their words, am always close to their hearts.

Life is filled with wonderful moments. But it doesn't always have to be interactive. Sometimes it's all right to be outside of the box, peeking inside at the quiet lessons being taught. There is much to be gained by watching, listening, pondering, reflecting. And it's important to know that it's not all about us; that others can take the stage and sing, while we proudly and joyfully look on.

Words are not always necessary, and observation from a step back can enlighten and enchant us. As beautiful as one's face can be, the flow and syncopation of their grace in movement can delight and linger, saying much without saying a word.

Don't be afraid to stand still for a moment. The view can be amazing.

7 comments:

Martie said...

How very true, Lori. We all need to do this more often than we do. I love watching my loved ones going about their varied activities. It is fun to just observe.

srp said...

Watching from the sidelines often provides the most precious memories.

Anonymous said...

I can sit for literally hours and just watch the world in action (which makes me a bit dull at parties I have to admit.) The true writer doesn't participate, but observes, draws conclusions, learns, and shares. I hope you take notes while observing, even if you never use them it expands your skills as a writer and a person. Your posts just keep getting better.

Rebecca said...

I think this is one of your best posts yet. Just beautiful....

Anonymous said...

Lori, this is a beautiful post. I loved what you wrote here:
Life is filled with wonderful moments. But it doesn't always have to be interactive. Sometimes it's all right to be outside of the box, peeking inside at the quiet lessons being taught. There is much to be gained by watching, listening, pondering, reflecting.

May God bless you with many more such moments. You're so right--it's important to sit still and just listen. Thank you for the reminder!

Cheryl said...

Wise words, Lori.

Jacqueline said...

Hi Lori, I chanced upon your blog about 10 days ago and have been visiting occasionally since. I love reading your posts where you're able to share such vivid recollections of your wonderful childhood, loving family ties and positive zest of love and life, yet beautifully interposed with wisdom, love, inspiration, encouragement, etc. I love this reminder! quoting you: "There is much to be gained by watching, listening, pondering, reflecting. And it's important to know that it's not all about us; that others can take the stage and sing, while we proudly and joyfully look on" You're blessing others with your gift and talent - keep it up! Thanks.