Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Different Path


"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

--Robert Frost



We all begin life on the entrance ramp, slowly gaining momentum and merging our lives with those of others traveling beside us. Sometimes we slow down, other times we stop for a break and often we are simply lost; confused by the direction we're traveling and searching for landmarks that will point us in a friendly, familiar direction.

We're given a map, but no specific directions. We make choices, wrong turns, have flats and overheat. We encounter impatience, harriedness, low-lying clouds and slick roads. And often we're completely stuck and at the mercy of a fellow traveler to help us get back on track.

On this journey I've found that following the person in front doesn't always take us down the right path. Exits are available: a new entrance to the scenic route which slows us down and allows us to see things we'd never have noticed otherwise. And what may have appeared as quite ordinary at speeds from a distance, is spectacular upon slower, close-up observation.

I'm glad I've taken the road less traveled. No one has to be the leader, and no one has to follow. This path is big enough for two, is better because its shared and has truly made all the difference.

The exit is just ahead. Consider the detour.

7 comments:

Networkchic said...

What a beautiful post. I think you are lucky that the road you've travelled has led to you to such a wonderful place. Sometimes we take the wrong path but knowing that at any mile marker we can turn around and choose a different route, gives me hope.

srp said...

I know God has a specific plan for my life.
I know I've really mangled it many times over.
I feel comfort knowing that even great persons of faith such as Abraham, messed up and delayed God's plan for him, and Abraham had the advantage of hearing and speaking with God.
I am forever grateful that God uses my mistakes, my wrong turns to get me back on His path.
Yes, thank goodnes for the exits and even the clover leafs.

Michelle said...

Excellent post yet again Lori. I love, love, love, love, love pictures like these.

Martie said...

This is a wonderful post Lori, but then that is what we expect from you. I, for one, am grateful that the path you took has been the one that has intercepted my path and I am glad to have gotten to know you a little bit.

Anonymous said...

That is one of my favourite poems. I've tended to live my own life by the path less travelled and there have been many highs and many lows; many mountains and many valleys; many warm days and many cold; but (most days) never any regrets. I think I would have been bored out of my mind if I had chosen the safer route.

Mellissa said...

See now THAT is what I am talking about.

You nailed it so perfectly. I think we are on the same wavelength today!

xoxo,
Ladybug

Cheryl said...

Love the picture, and what a perfect caption!