Monday, May 05, 2008

Weepy

I'm on the edge these days. I walk a thin line, teetering on tender emotions that threaten to bring tears at any given moment.

It happened twice at church yesterday. The first time was when a new baby was baptized; her infant coos accompanying wide eyes against Daddy's strong shoulder as Mama held the hand of two-year old sister. October 1, 1989 - when my own baby girl was baptized - was just last week, wasn't it? Her white gown made by Nana flowed over her chubby little legs, and priceless memories of love and joy lay before her.

The second time was during the Lord's Prayer. We always hold hands with the person on each side, and once again tears clouded my vision as I held my daughter's small hand in mine. The prayer was stilled in my throat as I saw her other hand holding that of her brother...and suddenly they were four and two, running through the sprinkler, playing on the swings, Trick-or-Treating.......their childhood grins firmly planted on little faces and days stretching endlessly ahead.

And while watching the televised graduation of the Greensburg, Kansas seniors, the realization of another graduation really hit home...and I wondered how I'll get through it with the grace and composure that I owe my 'little girl'.

I'm on the edge, all right.

Having children is not for the weak at heart.
Neither is letting them go.

7 comments:

Mike said...

Letting go is hard. I understand.
My tears come very easy these days,I dont fight them anymore.

TT
MY

Cheryl said...

I'm with you, Lori. My Boy's only eight, and I get weepy just THINKING about letting him go someday. Pathetic. :)

Daryl said...

Aw.. sounds to me as if its not just the kidlettes.. its hormones... keep breathing... this too shall pass. :-Daryl

Martie said...

Letting them go is one of the hardest things a 'mom' must do. It is such a bittersweet time in our lives to reach this point that we have been raising them for. My heart soars and aches with you on this one, my dear Lori! Many hugs across the miles!!!

John said...

Grace and composure can be tasted in the salt of your own tears. Let 'em roll, I say.

~Brenda said...

Salty and I missed our son when he graduated high school in 1998, moved away for work and more education.

I understand what you are going through.

Anonymous said...

Ah, go ahead and cry.
I am the official crier of my family, and everyone knows it. It would not seem normal if I suddenly turned all dry-eyed and serious.

Letting go is the beginning of a wonderful new stage. They'll do fine--you've given them sturdy wings.