Friday, January 02, 2009

The Way He Was

My son has always been happy-go-lucky; a boy with a perpetual grin and sunshine in his pockets. When he was little it was easy to dispel his temporary sadness with a hug and kiss, and to chase away any shadows that threatened to shroud his sunny world.

It's been said that high school is the best time in a young person's life....but I beg to differ. It's a trying time when you're straddling the world of childhood and adulthood, teetering on a thin line of who you are and who you want to be. It's days of mixed feelings and looking at the future while trying to decide which path to take. And while hugs and kind words are helpful, they no longer "fix" the sorrow and the questions in a now, young man's heart.

I miss the way he was. Though I know that everything is temporary, I'm looking forward to the day when the skies clear and there's light in his heart once again.

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Lori, Our kids seem to 'leave us' when they are teens... You want to say, "What has happened to my son?" But--I can tell you that this too will past. They will grow out of it --just give 'em time!!!! Raising teens is the hardest time I think. Just listen to him, don't judge and be patient.

I raised 3 sons ---so I KNOw!!!! ha
Hugs,
Betsy

Mike said...

I totally know what you are speaking of, and I have yet to experience it. My son is still the smiley kid I have always known...but...I know what is ahead of me. I know its a good thing in the big scheme of things.but I sure miss having him sit on my lap watching sponge bob square pants! It goes so fast.