Saturday, December 31, 2005

Blog Review

Bonnie from MacroMoments had an interesting concept to post the first line or two from the first blog written for each month of 2005. Since I didn't start writing until June, my list consists of only half of a year! But it was fun to look back over some of the things I'd written and remember. Anyone else up for it?

P.S. A 'goal' for 2006: learn how to link!


1. Nineteen eighty-eight. Those seventeen years ago I was newly married and still young.

2. I woke up this morning and saw the daylilies blooming outside my window. Their faces were turned eastward towards the sun, and the brilliant orange of their petals lit the backyard like the glow of a Jack-O-Lantern on Halloween night.

3. Wet clothes flapping on a clothesline....old autograph books from my past....

4. I love clouds; wispy strands of cotton, pulled like taffy across the sky....brilliant, fiery curtians settling over twilight, aflame from the setting sun....

5. I walk along the sidewalks, wet with the splattering from the sprinklers. Cleome, Coreopsis and Lantana are embracing in small beds around lit lamp posts.

6. The cottonwood tree is the essence of Kansas; the John Hancock of its declaration. Its branches arch over roadways and split into jagged V's that line the sky in dark silhoutte.

7. There is a short window of time when our youth holds us still in a magical, colorful world of perfection.

2 comments:

Mike said...

nice idea for a blog post! I wont copy it though!:-)

Hope you have a great New Year!

Mike

srp said...

You have some of the most brilliantly descriptive lines I have ever read. The words evoke sights, sounds, smells, textures.... every sense. Thank you.