Thursday, July 28, 2005

Change


I'm not good with change. I want things to remain the same, to know what to expect, to chart my course for familiar territory. It's hard going back to the beloved farm of my childhood where the only landmarks I recognize are cedar trees completely out of proportion with my memory. My children's first school is no longer the small, loving place where I held little hands and snapped photographs of first days but has become, instead, an overgrown brick impersonation of what used to be. Quaint country roads have turned into freeways, and my face and body belie the youth that is inside of me.

Last night as I was out walking, I watched as the sun started to set. It began a simple path in its descent but as I watched, it changed with every minute, turning from an orange glow into a beautiful display from both sides of the colorwheel. I was amazed how the sky transformed in steps, each lovelier than the last. And I realized that sometimes, change is good. As much as I enjoyed my children when they were little, they have become intelligent, interesting young people who are wonderful company, keeping me active and focused. New roads can get me to my destination faster.....new technology brings new learning. Though no lines of age found my face in youth, I've gained wisdom and grace through their presence. Life is a cycle, a circle; a constant series of changes that have to take place so we can learn and grow and become.

I'm still not always comfortable with change but I know it is necessary. And sometimes, it is even beautiful.

4 comments:

Mike J. Stark said...

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog site. A wonderous surprise indeed, but delightful nonetheless.
Cheers from a Kiwi

Mike J. Stark said...

By the way, love the photo's of the sunset's too and being a cat person I loved that photo too. How he managed to sit like that is beyond me tho. Will try and post some sunsets from New Zealand for you to see, test is to see if you know where that is...
Lets just say from where I live compared to your location in the states that i can walk clear across my country in one day...6 hours actually.

WILLIAM said...

Hello, I lurk every now and then and wanted to say Hi. I love the pictures and I totally agree with the post about if you want to see if you are compatible try building with someone. So true.

Anonymous said...

I remember when snowbanks would be tall enough to tunnel through as a kid. It had been years since I had seen that again. Though one winter while living in Winnipeg Manitoba, better know as Winterpeg, we had the winter and snowfall that I remembered as a kid. The showbanks were so tall you could not shovel them any higher. You had to go to the top of the snowbank and push them back further into the yard. At intersections everyone's nose of the car had to poke out to be able to see for traffic. What were four lane roads became two again, just because there was too much snow. For a few breif moments the world was as I remember, and I was about six operating a motor vehicle. It was a lot of fun.