Sunday, July 15, 2007

Solitude

Everyone needs some time to themselves, and I've written before about the differences between being lonely...and being alone.

When I am struggling with something in my life, frustrated or in pain, I often go off by myself to think things through. There is solace in being alone; a strength that comes through solitude that can be found at no other time. The distractions of life are put at bay, and peaceful resolution is found in the stillness of time spent with oneself and the gentle voice of God.

It is true that 'no man is an island'. But like my son, sitting in the quietness of his own company, it is fitting and wise to row out and visit once in awhile.

9 comments:

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Thanks for your comment at my blog. You're always welcome there.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

...Thanks for contributing to my cell phone discussion as well ;)

Mike said...

love your pic. I often like to go off on my own to be with myself to sort things out.

Thanks for stopping by at my blog and being nice to my little car! :-)

Anonymous said...

Great shot Lori, thats what I love most about my photography, is the solitude I get from it. I spend time with my wife and son, but there are many days I get as far as away as I can to reflect and recharge my soul.

Anonymous said...

GREAT shot lori.

And lovely commentary too ...

i love solitude too ... I think solitude and lonliness are different ... lonliness is when you are seeking company but feel alone ... solitude is being happy in one own's company. I think it's a wonderful way to reflect on life ... we all need that!

srp said...

I do enjoy the quiet, the creak of a dark house, the softness of 400 ct sheets that feel like silk and that "being alone" feeling, although with the comfort of knowing I am never really completely alone.

I have to stay here at Mom and Dad's house a few nights to take care of poor Max. He had two skin lesions taken off and had his bath and shave and he is not feeling very well tonight. Hopefully by tomorrow evening he will be better!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely spot to spend time alone to think and meditate! Beautiful photo, Lori!

Hugs my friend!

Okay, I forgot my password so I have to sign in anonymously, but it's me Martie!

Kelly Sadosky said...

I agree with that one. Lovely photo!

Michael Lehet said...

I know exactly what you mean. Living in Chicago it's sometimes very difficult to "get away" from everyone else, but it can happen.

And then when it does happen the first thing I say to myself is "Where are all the other people?"